Who we are
We are building the tools and services that will enable developers and businesses to create a digital-first experience for their customers. Our thesis is simply the fact that — financial innovation cannot exist without an Open Finance infrastructure. Essentially, the growth of the African Fintech industry is intrinsically tied to the success of an infrastructure like Okra.
You can view more about who we are here:
It’s an amazing time to join Okra. As a Sr. Software Engineer, Payments, you will be responsible for designing, building, and maintaining the Payments Platform services and infrastructure that move money for Okra. You will be deeply involved in the technical details of building highly available and reliable services, while also working with product teams to enable Okra to rapidly build new capabilities for our clients.
- Build our Payments Platform which will be consumed by the Core Services team, and a key strategic asset of Okra.
- Design and implement high-volume, low-latency, distributed transaction processing systems, making thoughtful tradeoffs between consistency and availability when both are not possible.
- Abstract away the legacy APIs of the financial world into consistent, coherent service APIs for Okra’s products to build upon.
- Build systems that manage clients’ sensitive data and hold Okra to the highest standards for security and compliance.
- Work cross-functionally with our product and core business teams to develop Okra’s global payments strategy.
- See the big picture to design fault tolerant systems so the team can be brave, move fast, and break things, without ever showing a negative impact to clients.
What you’ll need:
- 3+ years of experience as a software engineer.
- Strong experience with technique and tools for crawling, extracting, and processing data (e.g. Scrapy, Puppeteer, Selenium etc.)
- An innate curiosity and a desire to be responsible for all aspects of reliably moving billions of dollars in a small, highly focused team.
- An understanding and curiosity in creating highly available, scalable, low-latency, global systems.
- A track record of pursuing self directed side projects, research, or open source projects.
- An interest in changing the payments landscape in Africa.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.